Litchfield Elementary School District Dress Code
2017-2018 School Year
From the 2017/2018 Student Handbook:
(Governing Board Policy JICA)
We encourage students to take pride in their attire as it relates to the school setting. Students are to dress in a manner that, in addition to the following guidelines, takes into consideration the safety, health, and welfare of self and others, and does not disrupt the learning environment. Appropriateness of dress shall be determined by the school administration according to Governing Board Policy.
If the student does not follow the dress code, he/she will be sent to the office for a change of clothingand/or will be subject to disciplinary action. Violations are not negotiable; our students will present themselves appropriately. Due to rapid changes in our society, it may become necessary to modify the dress code or to include additional items at the judgment of the administration.
Please refer to page 32* [see below] for Violation consequences.
The following clothing/garments/articles Are Not permitted on campus or at any school activity:
- Strapless, straps less than 1” wide, racerback, or backless dresses or blouses, and halter tops
- All undergarments (brassieres, etc.) must be fully covered
- Blouses or shirts of a transparent or mesh material revealing a bare midriff or shoulders
- Tops or dresses that reveal cleavage
- Tops that are so short they cannot be tucked in
- Muscle shirts and oversized tanks must have a t-shirt worn underneath
- Hoodies covering the head may only be worn outside
- Low-hanging or sagging pants, including exposure of any undergarments
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses shorter than mid-thigh length
- Tights, leggings, spandex, and other types of form fitting clothing must be accompanied by skirts, shorts, tops/shirtsor dresses of appropriate length
- Bare feet are not acceptable. In the interest of safety, shoes must be worn at all times.
- Slippers of any kind
- Any item that is a distraction/disruption to the classroom learning environment
- Hairnets, skull caps, and “do-rags”
- Hats of any kind are not permitted on middle school campuses
- Spiked or studded belts, earrings, bracelets, or necklaces
- Chain belts, wallet chains, handcuffs, or sharp, heavy rings
- Clothing, hats, jewelry, or accessories that display inappropriate messages or symbols
- Clothing that promotes alcohol, drugs, tobacco, gang affiliation, nudity, or profanity
- Clothing with messages or pictures referring to death, violence, Satanism, racism, weapons, sex, profane or obscene statements
- Pajamas of any kind
- Writing or drawing on skin or clothing
- Prohibited Personal Items
The following personal items Are Not permitted on campus, school buses, or at any school activity:
- Electronics, iPods, mp3 Players, PSP, Game Boy, cell phones, smart watches, cameras, electronic games, kindle, nook, iPad, other personal electronic equipment or communication devices.
The District is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged electronic devices.
- Self-balancing scooters
- Laser pointers
- Permanent markers, super glue
- “Monster,” “Red Bull,” and similar energy drinks
- Long sticks and clubs used as sports equipment
- Gambling games or devices
- Knives, chains, or firearms of any kind or size, including pocket knives; or any instruments that could be used as a weapon or a simulated weapon
(Please refer to page 34-35 for violation consequences)
- Cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, hookah pens, matches, lighters, and tobacco
- Any explosive or shock devices
- Alcohol, drugs or drug paraphernalia
*from page 32