• Alert: School offices will be closed for Teacher In-Service on January 18th. This will allow for office staff to participate in trainings and staff activities.
Close alert
Text Options for the Visually Impaired Font Size: a- A+ Color: A A A Revert 
Close vision bar
Open vision bar

History of Litchfield Park Area

Litchfield Park is a planned residential community 16 miles west of central Phoenix. It is a unique suburban community boasting a small town atmosphere and casual lifestyle. Litchfield Park is just north of Interstate 10 with easy access to metropolitan Phoenix. It was incorporated in 1987. The area now known as Litchfield Park was literally untouched until 1908, when a citrus grower from Riverside, California made plans to settle here.

 

The settling of the Litchfield Park area started in 1916 when Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company bought farmland to grow Egyptian long-staple cotton to use in tire cords. Paul Litchfield, then a junior executive with Goodyear, developed this project. The company town was given the name in 1926. The area surrounding Litchfield Park was headquarters for Goodyear Farms, which had thousands of acres under cultivation. From 1931 to 1944, it was also the test site for Goodyear auto, truck and tractor tires. In the 1960’s, Litchfield Park designed a master plan for the development of the city.

In 1917, the formation of School District #79 was granted. On October 9, 1917, the first session of school was held in an old cook shack with wooden floors and canvas walls. There were 11 students.  The community continued to grow, and by January 1918 plans for a permanent school site were approved. Mrs. Mabel Padgett was the first teacher in the new adobe buildings. By 1928, a high school district was formed under Mr. Paul Litchfield’s leadership. Litchfield School now had all grade levels to offer. By 1954, Litchfield High School was overcrowded and the Agua Fria Union High School District was formed for high school students from Avondale, Goodyear, and Litchfield Park. The Litchfield School reverted back to an elementary school and still remains in operation with some of the original adobe structure in place. In 2008, the school celebrated 90 years in existence.

The early elementary school quickly emerged as one of the most outstanding schools of its size in the valley. The success was attributed to the high caliber of teachers and the support and effort of the parents and teachers. The Litchfield Elementary School District continues this reputation of excellence with outstanding teachers, staff, parents, and students in all of our schools.