MEDICAL LEAVE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
An employee who has depleted all accumulated sick and personal leave as a result of serious illness/injury may ask to receive donations of sick leave from other employees through the medical leave assistance program in order that the ill/injured employee may receive income during the period of serious illness or injury.
The request shall be made through the following procedure:
- The employee shall complete a "Medical Leave Assistance Request Form" and submit it along with a completed "Verification of Serious Illness or Injury Form" to the assistant to the superintendent for personnel services.
- If indicated by the employee on the "Medical Leave Assistance Request Form", the assistant to the superintendent for personnel services or designee shall post in appropriate locations throughout the District the medical leave assistance program informational notice.
- Any employee wanting to make a donation must designate the donation in the name of the employee to receive the donation on a "Sick Leave Donation Form". Donor days can be used only on a daily basis after an employee has exhausted accrued sick leave and until disability leave takes effect.
- The donor employee must submit the "Sick leave Donation Form" to the assistant to the superintendent for personnel services no later than ten (10) working days from the date the informational notice is issued.
- A record will be maintained indicating the date and time the donor employee days were submitted to the personnel services office. Donor days will be issued as needed based on the order in which they were submitted to personnel services.
- The assistant to the superintendent for personnel services or designee shall either approve or disapprove each donation. If more days are donated than are approved on the request form, the assistant to the superintendent shall hold the donation until it becomes know that the employee does not need more days to cover the illness/injury.
- The assistant to the superintendent for personnel services shall notify donation employees whether their donations have been approved or disapproved.
|Voluntary Transfer of Accrued Sick Leave - Medical leave Assistance Plan
The District recognizes the existence of circumstances under which non-job-related, seriously incapacitating, and extended illnesses and injury may exhaust accrued leave of employees. To provide some measure of relief in such situations, a limited mechanism, based upon voluntary transfer of accrued leave, is established. The mechanism is termed medical leave assistance program. Such a program increases employee morale and may reduce some of the stresses associated with illness and facilitate the employee's recovery, which is in the best interest of the District. The Superintendent will establish appropriate guidelines for the operation of this program.
Please contact Jeri Burns, our Benefits Coordinator for assistance with any medical leave questions.