Open Enrollment FAQ

Open Enrollment applications may be considered during the school year for campuses which have not reached capacity.

What is Open Enrollment?
Arizona state law allows students to apply for admission to any state public school, based on available classroom space. Open Enrollment applications are approved on a year-by-year basis with no guarantee of continued enrollment. Click here for Policy JFB Open Enrollment

What is a variance?
A variance is the same as an Open Enrollment.
Who may apply for Open Enrollment?
Any family in Arizona may apply for Open Enrollment into a Litchfield school. For this reason, the state is
considered among the leaders in the country for educational choice.

Where do I obtain an application?
Open Enrollment applications are available online, they are school year specific.

What are the timelines?
The Open Enrollment period begins in January during the school year prior to the year Open Enrollment is being requested. The deadline for Open Enrollment submissions is March 15th, per Governing Board Policy JFB. Application received after the designated Open Enrollment deadline will be reviewed if the campus has available capacity. Students may be granted Open Enrollment approval sufficient to fill the school’s capacity. The District will notify families of their application decision during the months of April, May, June and July. Notification will continue throughout the school year as needed.

How is approval of an Open Enrollment application determined?
Approval of application first requires a determination as to the number of Open Enrollment openings
(capacity) available per school. Students who have submitted application will be ranked by priority status according to District Governing Policy JFB Open Enrollment. Selection is done by priority level, then by date and time within each priority until all seats are filled.  Grade level and program capacity will be considered when determining approval. Failure to notify the District of special program needs indicated on the Open Enrollment forms may necessitate a resubmission of the application for evaluation. A student requiring specialized support could be denied if the resources at the school are at capacity.

How will I be notified?
Parents will receive notification of their application approval or denial before the new school year begins via email.

What if I miss the deadline for the application?
If the designated Open Enrollment deadline is missed, an Open Enrollment Application may still be
submitted for consideration. Once available capacity is determined, application will be considered based on

priority status, and parents/legal guardians will be notified. Once the campus meets or exceeds its capacity,
either through Open Enrollment or population growth, the school will be closed to further Open Enrollments.

What if my child is currently attending on Open Enrollment, do I need to reapply?
All students attending a school outside of their attendance boundary will need to apply for Open
Enrollment each year. Acceptance is on a Year-by-Year basis and will be reviewed each new school year.

What if my school attendance area undergoes a boundary change, can I stay at my same school?
You may apply for Open Enrollment to stay at your same school. You are considered as an intra-district
Open Enrollment with first priority for consideration because you were previously enrolled at the school.

May I apply during the school year?
Open Enrollment Application may be considered during the school year for campuses, which have not
reached capacity.

Is Transportation provided?
District transportation is not provided to Open Enrollment students. Parents are responsible for
transportation to and from school in a safe and timely manner. Standards of reasonableness and prudence
apply with respect to young children and supervised travel to and from school. Dropping young children
off/picking up at local parks with the expectation that they will walk unsupervised to/from school is unsafe.
Fee based extended day programs are available at our elementary schools to accommodate early drop off
and late pick up.

What if I have a child in first grade and one in second grade and the application is approved for the
first grader and denied for the second grader?
(Grade level could be any grade level example)
The district cannot accommodate a sibling if the grade level is at or exceeds capacity when another sibling
has been approved at another grade level. The family must make a decision if they want to have students
enrolled at different schools, or decline the Open Enrollment seat in order to keep families together at one

Does Open Enrollment criteria apply to Traditional Academy?
Yes, if a student is not a resident of the school they are wishing to attend, they must submit an Open
Enrollment application.

What happens if we originally resided in a LESD school’s attendance boundary and then moved
outside of the school’s or the district’s attendance boundary?

A student currently attending a LESD school who lives in that schools attendance boundary and then
moves out of the school’s boundary or out of the District boundary must complete and submit an Open
Enrollment application within 10 days of the change in residence. Failure to complete this process may
result in the student being withdrawn at the end of a semester.

Can my child’s Open Enrollment status be revoked once granted?
Open Enrollment status is reviewed each year. Open Enrollment can be denied due to grade/program
capacities, attendance/tardiness issues, or failure to follow school rules on the part of the parent or student.
Each year Principals make recommendation to the Superintendent regarding these situations. Parents will
receive written notification if their child’s Open Enrollment has been revoked due to these issues.

Out-of-District Student: Nonresident pupil means a pupil who resides in this state and who is seeking
enrollment in a school district other than the school district in which the pupil resides.
Intra-District Student: Resident transfer pupil means a resident pupil who is enrolled in or seeking
enrollment in a school that is within the school district, but outside the attendance area, of the pupil’s